Sunday

Taking My Mother to the Opera (2015)





Jack Ross, ed.: Poetry NZ Yearbook 2 [Issue #50] (November 2015)

Books and Magazines in brief:

Diane Brown. Taking My Mother to the Opera. ISBN 978-1-927322-15-4. Dunedin: Otago University Press, 2015. RRP $29.95. 116 pp.




Diane Brown: Taking My Mother to the Opera (2015)


It’s nice to see another hardback poetry book from Otago University Press. Slim paperbacks are all very well, but there’s a certain heft and authority in a hardback: especially one as bright and cheerful-looking as this. Diane Brown continues to mine life writing and famly history for her subject matter in this, her third collection of poems, full of pictures which will strike a chord with many readers:
My favourite photo of Mum,
snapped at the beach,
her sensible wedding day suit

ditched for saggy togs.
Here she is, laughing at Dad,
as if nothing had ever hurt her. [p.11]






(26-30/10/15)

Poetry New Zealand Yearbook 2 [Issue #50]. ISSN 0114-5770 (2014): 270.

[119 wds]


Poetry NZ Yearbook 2 (2015)






1 comment:

  1. Yes, I like a good hardback too. And this is a good hardback. In fact I loved'Taking My Mother to the Opera', from cover to credits. This is my first Diane Brown, but it won't be my last. Her running prose-poetry style, rather than a series of separate poems, works particularly well I think for life writing, in that memory sort of works in that way, in bright glimpses that run loosely together with gaps in between, to form a rough chronology. Thanks to Emma Neale (Tender Machines) for recommending it. She's another powerful life poet. Cheers, Jack.

    ReplyDelete